Digital optical impressions significantly increase efficiency, productivity and accuracy, and make it possible for dentists to e-mail the virtual impression to the laboratory, rather than send a traditional impression or stone model via regular mail. Also, digital impressions can be used to make same day dentistry restorations, thereby speeding up patient treatment and reducing the need for multiple office visits.
Digital impressions include:
- Improved image/impression quality for better-fitting restorations Less chair time
- No need for distasteful impression materials that cause some patients to gag
- More comfortable, less anxious experience for patients and the dental team
- Reduced possibility of impression-taking errors and elimination of material inaccuracies for fewer restoration mistakes
- Patients tend to appreciate the new technology and state-of-the-art dental care, so they become more engaged in, and better informed about, the treatment process because they can see their impressions on-screen chair side.
- The scan of the teeth being restored, as well as the opposing teeth and bite, can be completed in just three to five minutes.
- The digital impression can be stored electronically indefinitely, which saves space, contributes to efficient record-keeping, and supports a paper-free environment.
- Green dentistry and eco-friendly aspects include eliminating the need for disposable plastic trays and impression materials, which otherwise would be polluting landfill space; digital data is eliminated with the "delete" button.